Left Behind is a long-term photo reportage within the Republic of Moldova.
The first victims of migration are children. In Eastern Europe half of those who emigrate are women who, in most cases, leave their children at home, entrusting them, at best, to grandparents, or to elderly neighbors, or at worst, and too often, just abandoning them to fend for themselves.
A prime example is Moldova, which, by some current estimates, has lost about 7 hundred thousand migrants, though other astonishing estimates have put the figure at over 1 million, almost a quarter of the total population. In economic terms, migrant remittance, or sending money home, helps to strengthen the financial inflow of a developing country, but it also increases the number of social orphans, children who might count themselves lucky to see their parents but once a year.
The plight of these children is difficult to imagine. Many will never overcome the psychological trauma caused by separation from their parents. Numerous cases of suicide do nothing but highlight how serious the situation is.
According to the Information and Documentation Center on Child Rights in Moldova, the number of children without parental care is growing steadily. In 2006, there were 94,000 children who had at least one emigrant parent, while in 2009, the number had reached 135,000.
Left Behind project intends to document and give voice to the suffering of these children. By long trips across different regions of Moldova, I will continue my photographic work to tell of the daily lives of both the children left behind and the parents who have emigrated abroad, mainly to Italy.
When the project is complete, I will publish a book, and donate some of the proceeds to several NGOs who work with the children and produce web documentaries to publicize their adversity.
- Giorgio #Napolitano è il nuovo Presidente della Repubblica Italiana. #quirinale 6 years ago
- RT @riccardowired: Abruzzo Sostegno per il Nobel della pace a Internet http://araldovastese.blogspot.com/2010/08/palomba-idv-sostegno-de ... 8 years ago
- RT @el_pais: Ali Agca dice ahora que su objetivo no era matar al papa: Mehmet Ali Agca, el terrorista turco que atentó contra e... http: ... 8 years ago
- Lifeshots è in fermento. Presto nuove storie dal centro di Roma, tra la gente http://www.lifeshots.it #giornalismo #roma #politica #gente #photo 8 years ago
- Pier Paolo Cascioli, a story from Rome. http://bit.ly/alaPdw #photography, #photojournalism, #giornalismo, #journalism 9 years ago
- LifeShots sta pensando a nuove storie di Roma da raccontare! Chi vuole aiutarci? #giornalismo #photography #rome @beppesevergnini #roma 9 years ago